Looking at the music of Dutch rock band Focus, started in the late sixties by Thijs van Leer (b /31/03/48) with Jan Akkerman (b 24/12/46). Van Leer still performs and records under the name today (official site here). Akkerman's site here.

.

.

20191010

Track by track 131 Birds Come Fly Over (Le Tango)

Archive number: 131
Title: Birds Come Fly Over (Le Tango)
Main Album: Focus X
Track number: 6
Genre: Jazz Pop Vocal
Studio: Fieldwork Studios, Schoten, Belgium
Length: 5:21
Composer: Thijs van Leer, Roselie Peters
Musicians: Thijs van Leer – Hammond organ, piano, flute, melodica; Menno Gootjes – Guitars; Bobby Jacobs – Bass; Pierre van der Linden – Drums; Ivan Lins - vocals. 
Producer: Bobby Jacobs, Geert Scheijgrond
Label: Eastworld Recordings
Date of recording/release: November, 2012
Alternative version: The same track is on The Focus Family album. Versions of  Le Tango appear on the Focus album with Jan Akkerman, on Introspection 4 and in other places.
Notes: We begin with drums then acoustic guitar, organ, flute and eventually a chugging electric guitar in tango time. At 0:54 the vocal begins. The words are

I'm always watching sunrise,
I have at least a life
And for my heart's desire, I can die.

And you my love, my good love,
I see you live your life,
But in my heart I've often seen you cry.

I'm only waiting for the time to pass,
How can I raise my voice or my hand?
Birds come fly over to the sun.

Out of a million lovers,
One only could be mine,
Oh there's a million others passing by

From sun up until sundown
This life is such a strife
And if you lose your love you lose your life.

I'm only waiting for the time to pass,
How can I raise my voice or my hand?
Birds come fly over to the sun.

There is a brief instrumental section announced by a beat from 2:02-02:21 after verse 3. In the subsequent part van Leer's melodica is heard. From 3:28-04:01 the band comes in more strongly again before the final vocal section which features the second three verses repeated. A piano is heard in the mix this time.

No comments: